Monday, January 14, 2008

Rehabilitation

Last week I attended a workshop that was aimed at helping me find a new job. It was interesting and good. I learned a lot about resumes and such, and where to look for jobs. As I described to a friend I felt as if I were being rehabilitated for re-release into the wild. There is this feeling, like an injured wild animal, of not having the proper tools to survive out there. I get so scared whenever I think about applying for jobs, interviewing for jobs, being turned down for jobs......I lie awake at night thinking through all the possible questions I could be asked. Which only serves me in lack of sleep and doesn't actually help me as I forget the oh so clever answers I came up with at 2:13 in the morning.

I go this week to an orientation that will allow me to start subbing in the school district as an instructional assistant or in the office. This will be good. It will be money. It will also force me into new and unfamiliar situations on a daily basis. That scares the crap out of me. On a practical rational level I know I will be fine, I have worked in schools before, there should be nothing to worry about. But on an emotional level I am nervous that I won't be able to find the office, that the people will be mean to me, that I will have to work for some horrible teacher. Silly senseless stuff that I just need to get over. Which is why the new day new school thing will be good for me, it will push me out of my little comfort zone and toughen me up.

Although I don't really feel as though I am ready for re-release, off I go.

Beware the Wild Molly's in their natural habitat.

What is my natural habitat?

No comments: