Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I am the wrong person today

I am hoping this is not an omen, but today I am apparently the wrong person.

First my doorbell rings and standing there when I open it is a man from the city with a clipboard and official city truck at the curb. He says to me, "I am here for your mechanical inspection". The things that went through my mind: "mechanical inspection, whats that?", "is this a scam?", "Is he a themed stripper sent by some insane friend?" - So I just looked at him and asked, "Mechanical Inspection?". "for a furnace, maybe a fireplace?" - "no", I replied. He looks at his clip board and reads the address outloud. He has the numbers right, but the wrong street. I tell him so, he is off by one block. This isn't this first time this has happened, last time it was the pizza delivery guy, that one was tempting to keep.

Then a little bit later my phone rings. "this is it", I think, "the job". I mute the Price is Right and answer the phone with my most pleasant hello. I hear a very thick accent say, "molly?". "Yes", I say. Then, "Is this the mental hospital?" I must have misheard her first question. "no, this is not the mental hospital" She apologizes and then hangs up.

Hmm.....like I said, I hope its not an omen.....When you question most days who you are and what you are doing with your life being a mistake two times in a row can be rather deflating.

No comments: