Monday, June 30, 2008

Extraction

I used to have nightmares where all my teeth would break and fall out. Upon waking I would be incredibly stressed out. It was horrible. I am not sure what those dreams meant, I always figured that it was a symbol of losing something, or of bad health...not really sure. But now, in real life I am losing a tooth because it has broken twice now and it just can't hold up to the stress anymore. I never thought I would be starting to go toothless at my age and it makes me really sad to be losing a part of myself that I have had for so long. Funny, I didn't feel that way about my appendix, I was perfectly fine with that going away, but then again you don't build the same relationship with a useless piece of intestine as you do with a part of your mouth that you use everyday. Am I being absolutely ridiculous about this? I know that once it is gone I will feel better, it will no longer harbour infection, it won't hurt everytime I eat something cold and it won't kill me if I accidentally bite down on it.....and I am looking forward to that. But still, I am a little sad.

Does the tooth fairy come for adults? Should I put it under my pillow?

2 comments:

Kelly said...

The having-all-your-teeth-fall-out dream is really common I guess, but I can't remember what it supposedly represents. That might be a perfect time-wasting activity for today, I'll go look it up...

Sorry about your tooth, I've had a few teeth break over the years - I was always able to blame it on my tongue ring though. But I have to admit, the day I realized that my tongue ring was causing a deterioration of my gum line was a sad, sad day. I don't know that I've ever felt so old as when I realized that all those things they say happen in the "long term", ie. when you're 40...they are happening now. I am officially NOT 21. Sad, sad day...

Andrew Attebery said...

Ahem.

I just came here to say:


WHY HAVEN'T YOU UPDATED YOUR BLOG?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?


Thank you. That is all.